Thursday, March 31, 2016

DAMAGES AND EFFECTS OF THE JOB

ORIGINALLY POSTED DECEMBER 2013
DAMAGES AND EFFECTS OF THE JOB 
I have been having trouble sleeping lately which isnt unusual for this time of year.  Its the conflicting emotions of holiday joy alternating with overwhelming sadness each time I tell someone their loved one wont be coming home again. I find that when the death gets overwhelming I tend to get a little overprotective of those I care about and I tend to reflect too much on my own mortality. Having lost both of my parents in tragic ways, I fear for my own health as I have issues of my own and I want nothing more than to be able to live long and spend it with the love of my life enjoying life together. And watching my children enjoy their lives. I dont need riches but we have worked hard and hope to live comfortably.
I have to be up in 4 hours, which is about the most sleep I have had in days. Although I dont think I will be getting even 4 hours today. Does it matter I will likely have the crazy nightmares I have been experiencing lately anyway.
Maybe I should have headed this bummer words but this blog is about whats real in my life and my experiences in death investigation. This is the part they dont show on TV. The toll it really takes. The people who call me at work, in the middle of the night, because they cant sleep either and they want to talk to me because I took care of their loved one. People ask me to do special things for their loved ones and I do what I can to accommodate their wishes.  I have gone in and said good night or read written notes to their loved ones.  They ask and it means so much that I feel there is no good reason why I shouldnt do it and make them feel better.
I guess what I go through sometimes is almost like survivors guilt. How can I be so happy and enjoy my family and the holiday season when I have just told someone the horrible heartbreaking news of their loved ones death yet how can I waste a valuable opportunity because I know very well my opportunities may be limited and end soon because death does not discriminate. It can come for anyone at any time, it doesnt matter where you are or what you have done to try and prevent it.  It happens.

So I say enjoy life, take advantage of it, dont waste it and dont focus on the wrong things, dont think it has to be perfect to be good even the little things are special so treasure them! 

1 comment:

  1. The part about telling them goodnight & writing notes touched my heart. To go above & beyond when I can only imagine most would say they'd do it but in fact won't.

    ReplyDelete